In February 2019, WebAIM conducted an evaluation of the home pages for the top 1,000,000 web sites using the WAVE stand-alone API (with additional tools to collect site technology parameters). While this research focuses only on automatically detectable issues, the results paint a rather dismal picture of the current state of web accessibility.
Some results from the analysis:
- 97.8% of home pages had detectable WCAG 2 failures
- Low contrast text, below the WCAG 2 AA thresholds, was the most common accessibility issue detected.
- 33.6% of all images (12.3 per page on average) had missing alternative text (not counting alt=””).
- Skipped headings were present on 362,659 home pages (36.3% of all pages). 148,573 home pages (14.9%) had no headings present at all.
- 24.4% of pages had links with ambiguous link text, such as “click here”, “more”, “continue”, etc.
- Only 9.6% of home pages had a “skip” link present. However, 14.3% of these pages had skip links that were broken
Read the rest of The WebAIM Million Analysis
WEBSITE ACCESSIBILITY TESTING & REMEDIATION SERVICES: Mary Gillen is an experienced Website Accessibility Compliance Auditor and Remediator. She can test your website to determine if it meets accessibility standards:
WCAG 2.1: 312 checkpoints covering A, AA and AAA W3 accessibility guidelines
Section 508: 15 US federal guidelines covered by 59 accessibility checkpoints